Many say that Wicca/Witchcraft is their religion or their spiritual path. They view the components of the Craft as something they DO separate from their normal lives. In otherwords, they reserve their "witchiness" for special occassions, much like the Sunday/Holyday-Christians.
What I am about to teach you is that you are not separate from your spiritual path, your "witchiness", your Craft...You ARE all of these, every single waking/sleeping moment of your life. Every conscious and unconscious breath you take is a part of your spiritual path. You can no sooner undress yourself from being a Wiccan/Witch than you can from your own skin. Think about that for a moment! Even your breath is a part of this awesome cosmic universe. Each breath you take is CREATING! Each thought is CREATING! Each action you take is CREATING! We are CREATING every single milisecond of our lives! Spellcasting is the conscious projection of CREATING!
There are many components to the Craft: Spellcasting, Divination, Herbology, Astrology, etc. Some Wiccan/Witches chose to use one form or another of the Craft and some combine several of the components. It is as if they think that they must be a specialist or a "perfectionist" in one certain field (or a select few) of the Craft.
What I want you to consider is this: There is only BEINGNESS. BEINGNESS is the conscious projection of creating. Have I confused you yet? Yes, I just previously said that Spellcasting was the conscious projection of creating. Now I am telling you that BEINGNESS is. Why? Am I deliberately trying to confuse you? No. I am deliberately trying to tell you that everything just IS. There is no mystery, nothing SUPERNATURAL, nothing hidden. We have been given so much knowledge to create our own realities. The combining of this knowledge through the Craft of the Wise is all about that reality creation.
I am sure this is something every one of you have done at one time or another: the negative thought process of "why does everything go wrong?" or "why can't I seem to make enough money for my needs/wants?" etc. Don't tell me you haven't ever thought that way. It is a very human viewpoint. We think that there must be something OUT THERE preventing us from achieving or gaining what we feel we deserve or need. Allow me to introduce you to that "OUT THERE": it is your own inner self-sabatoging machine at work! Remember what I said above? There is nothing mysterious, supernatural or hidden at work in the Universe. Bad things happen to us because of our thought processes. I know that some of you will probably be very skeptical about that conclusion. You are probably thinking that we cannot possibly control every single aspect of every moment in our lives to prevent bad things from happening to us. You are right. We cannot prevent bad things from happening to us. We can only prevent our REACTION to the bad things that happen to us.
Let's look at a couple of examples:
1) You get up this morning and you stump your toe on something your kid left in the pathway to the bathroom. Your first reaction is PAIN. Your next reaction may be "who the hell left that there?" You know you didn't leave it there, and there is only one other person in the house who could have left it there: your kid. Your next reaction may be to scream at your child for leaving it there. Pain is a natural response that our bodies have to trigger our brain that something isn't right. Everthing that we THINK after that initial response creates a current reality around us. In this example, it is a negative reality. Your toe will probably hurt for a while and the more you dwell on it, the object, your kid, the worse you will feel.
2) You get up this morning and you stump your toe on something that your kid left in the pathway to the bathroom. Again, your first reaction is PAIN. You bend over, pick up the object, laugh and place it on a table. You go on to the bathroom and enjoy your morning ritual. Do you notice the pain as long? Scientific studies say no. Why? Because you didn't dwell on the NEGATIVE.
By now, I bet you are wondering "what does all of this have to do with Spellcasting?" There are two elements to Spellcasting: Intent and Ritual, or THOUGHT and ACTION. If you come to Spellcasting with a positive thought process, you will create a positive reality. If you come to Spellcasting with a negative thought process, you will create a negative reality. Does all of this make sense to you now?
Remember, Spellcasting is the conscious projection of CREATING. Every time you cast a spell, you are in a state of BEINGNESS...your INTENT is BEING projected into your CREATION.
I want to leave you all with this Introduction for the day. I want you to think about what I have said. Ask yourselves if this FEELS true/right to you. Tomorrow, I will discuss the Elements of Spellcasting.
May you all be blessed,
Elements of Spellcasting: Intent
What is INTENT?
Intent is stating a purpose for a spell. This can be done as a thought process or by writing down your intent (this is a component of Ritual that I will get into more indepth later). Yesterday I explained to you about Positive and Negative thought processes and how each become reality. In Wicca, this is called the Law of Three. Whatever you send out, good or bane, returns to you three-fold. This law is not meant to stiffle us; it is meant as a guide or a moral lesson.
Before I get further into this, I want you to consider an experiment conducted by Dr. Emoto called Water Project: Love. Dr. Emoto photographed water molecules before and after projecting loving words, music, and thoughts at the water. The molecules changed their make-up accordingly. Go to this website: www.hado.net/ and on the left side column, click on Water Crystals. I want you to see the actual physical change that POSITIVE and NEGATIVE thought processes have on water. Remember, our bodies are mostly water. Also consider that our PLANET is mostly water. Which reality do you want to create?
Need vs. Want
When dealing with Spellcasting, there is more to intent than just merely the good/bane - positive/negative aspect. There is also the Need vs. the Want aspect. We all have basic needs: shelter, food, clothing, love, social interaction, just to name a few. The difference between NEEDS and WANTS is this: our needs are natural, primitive, animalistic instincts; whereas our wants are the result of the society we live in and the social norms we are exposed to. Consider this, if you need shelter, do you need a three-story house with all the modern conveniences and perks or do you just WANT all those conveniences and perks?
When we come to the Divine, the Lord and Lady, the ONE and ask for assistance (which is what spellcasting is all about, afterall), we should only come for our needs. When we call out to the Universe for our wants, we are selfishly asking for that which we can obtain ourselves. If you NEED a car to get you to work or take your kids to school and activities, then the Divine will provide. If you WANT an SUV with all the perks then that should be a goal that you obtain on your own. Never ask for those things that you can work hard to obtain yourself. A very wise woman once told me the universal saying, "be careful what you ask for, you just may receive it" but she also included, "what we want may not always be what is good for us!" That is the difference. The Divine KNOWS what is good for us - what we NEED - because the Divine is 100% pure LOVE.
The Grass REALLY Isn't Always Greener on the Other Side
Perhaps you are a rebellious type and you are saying to yourself, "who is this person to tell me what I can and cannot ask for? I will do what I want!" So you state your intent (an SUV with all the modern perks), you cast your spell, and 'lo and behold, you win an SUV from a contest that you had entered months ago, but had forgotten about. What an awesome piece of machinery! All the modern conveniences and perks! You are estatic and smug because you did a spell for a want and you received it! Ha! You are thinking to yourself, "so much for that whole need vs. want BS!"
Then you begin reading the small print of the contract of the contest. YOU have to pay for all taxes, titlements, and transportation costs to get the vehicle to you, etc. You go to register the vehicle with your insurance and the rate jumps dramatically. You register it at the DMV and your property taxes go up. It costs about $60 more a month for gas for your new SUV. You can no longer drive in the economy lane on the interstate because you now own this huge SUV and not a small economy-sized car. It therefore takes you twice as long to get to work, your kids to school, or to the grocery store. Suddenly you realize that this SUV has been more trouble than it was worth.
I am not saying that this will happen EVERY time you do a want vs. a need spell, but what I am trying to point out is that we should be content with what the Divine feels is right and good and loving for us when we ask for a NEED. The Divine loves us and only wants to give us what we ask for, but the Divine also has ways of teaching us lessons about selfish ME moments. When we are in the ME, we are not one with the ALL. And isn't being a part of a nature-based spiritual path all about ONENESS with the ALL?
Types Of Intent
There are two types of Intent: general and specific. Each time we come to the Lord and Lady (the Divine, the ONE), there is always a purpose, an intent for that moment of Beingness with the Divine. Whether it is for thankfullness, a moment of sorrow or despair, a moment of honor/respect, a festival, or to cast a spell, we are always stating an intent.
A general intent would be like thanking the Lord and Lady for a beautiful day. There is no need to go into details, afterall, the Lord and Lady made this day for our enjoyment so they already KNOW what a wonderful day it is. So we only need to thank them for it.
A specific intent would be detailing the conditions and circumstances of our situation in order to manifest the reality we seek. For instance, whenever we do a festive ritual, for honor or respect, we specifically state our intention: this ritual is to honor the the awakening of the Goddess, or the Birth of the Sun God, etc.
Elements of Spellcasting: Intent - continued
Spellcasting is a combination of both General and Specific Intents. We first state our General Intent: the need. Then we give specific details of why we have the need. Stating things specifically ensure that we get exactly what we ask for; however, there is also a catch here: we will also get NONE of what we do not ask for.
Built into this wonderful system of general and specific intent is another rule of which most Wiccans practice: never to manipulate someone else's will. Although this is generally an acceptable rule among Wiccans, it is not necessarily an accepted rule among all practicioners of the Craft. Remember, although there are a few stated laws in Wicca (The Wiccan Rede and The Law of Three, among those), there are really no other specific laws or rules to govern us. It is the Wiccan Rede which prevents WICCANS from manipulating someone else's will - "An' it harm NONE, do what thy will." Other practicioners of the Craft are NOT bound by this Wiccan law.
When we do spellcasting, we should be very cautious NOT to manipulate someone else's will. This is why most Wiccans will NOT do Love Spells. However, you can do a General Intent love spell with specific needs - by asking the Lord and Lady to send you someone who meets those needs you have. We will get into that more when I teach you how to create your own spells.
I hope this has helped you all to understand what Intent is and how to use it. Please feel free to ask questions. The next topic in Spellcasting 101 will be Rituals.
Elements of Spellcasting: Rituals
What is a ritual?
The generally accepted "bare-bones" definition for a ritual is a routine. Just think about that for a moment. Every time we do anything routinely, we are performing a ritual! How awe-some is that?!?
Now consider this: what IF every time we performed a routine, we did so from a loving place, a peaceful place in a moment of ALL? I know, we all live busy lives and we don't have the time to be spiritually connected to the ALL ever single second of the day, or do we?
Rituals (routines) are LEARNED behavior. We are not instictively born with this ability to perform ritualistic activities. We observe it from others and assimulate it into our own activities. If it is possible for us to get up at the same time every morning, go to the bathroom, brush our teeth, comb/brush our hair, get dressed, drink our morning coffee and get out the door in enough time to get to work on time, why can we not also incorporate the Divine, the ALL, into those ritualistic moments each day? All it takes is intent and repetition to bring this into our daily routines.
Types of Daily Devotional Rituals
There are many types of rituals, from the one described above, to those with a more spiritual intent. It is the former that I will be discussing here. I still want to emphasize that spiritual rituals CAN become a part of your every day lives and I hope that you will all give these a try.
1) Morning Devotional
With the morning sunrise, this is a moment to reflect upon the Sun God's loving embrace of our Universe. Your morning devotional can be as simplistic as looking out the window and smiling up at the sky and saying a simple THANK YOU to the Sun God's love. Or, it can be as complex as lighting a golden candle on your altar, kneeling before the altar and saying a simple or complex prayer of thankfulness. You know the time you have available each morning. You can use the simple method on days where you know your life will be busy and reserve the more complex method for days when you have plenty of time in the morning. Other morning rituals could be meditation, a walk in the sunshine, taking a relaxing bath or shower while reminding yourself of the rejuvenating qualities of the water upon your body. The point here is to actively embrace/invite the Divine into your day.
2) Meal Devotionals
Another way to invite the Divine into your daily life is while preparing and eating your meals. As you cook, you can consciously thank the Divine for the food you've been given. Remind yourself of the sacrifice the food has made to sustain your life. Give thanks to the Lord and Lady for the feast before you at the table. This can be a silent moment of interspective reflection or an elaborate outwardly designed devotional complete with candles, flowers, offerings upon your altar, etc.
3) Bedtime Devotional
When the Sun God rests and the Moon Goddess rises, this is a time to remind yourself of the wonders of the Shadows in our lives. It is dreamtime, time to allow our bodies to rest and replenish themselves. You can do this by taking a long, relaxing bath with scented oils, take a long stroll in the moonlight, meditate while listening to soft music, or simply ask the Goddess to watch over you as you sleep. Again, you can make this as simple or elaborate a ritual as time allows.
If you keep the Divine in mind during each of these devotionals, you have been spellcasting the entire day! Yes, you read that correctly! Hey, I never said spellcasting was difficult!
Tomorrow, I will begin discussing Tools of Spellcasting.
Tools for Spellcasting
In the eighteen years of walking the Wiccan path, I have encountered many types of Wiccans, from the traditional to the non-traditional, and the only consistency that I have discovered among all these various types is inconsistency. You can ask 5 different Wiccans what tools they use for casting spells and you will more than likely get 5 different answers. Some may include similar tools; whereas others may include tools you would never consider. I've also encountered Wiccans who feel that one should only use handmade tools, others who use everyday household tools, and still others who prefer to purchase expensive tools from the latest Wiccan stores.
By now, you are probably asking yourselves who is right? Believe it or not, they are ALL right. Each tool that you obtain has to be right for YOU. And, for that matter, there may be tools out there that others use that you will discover is unnecessary for your own spellcasting. The greatest discovery you will make in Wicca is the ability to personalize.
Remember this: "Nothing in Wicca is black or white; everything in Wicca is shades of grey."
The Greatest Tool
There is one tool that is so amazing, so powerful and the MOST necessary for spellcasting, and guess what? We all already have it! That tool is our MINDS! Through Visualization, we can create in our minds every single tool and ritual for any spellcasting we wish to do. The most powerful witch that I personally know has never used any physical tool or created any physical ritual for any of her spellcasting. Instead, she visualizes her protective circle, sits in meditation and visualizes her spellcasting. Isn't that wonderful?!?
So why then would any of us need physical tools if we can create everything in our minds? One reason is because not everyone has the ability to do extensive visualization. Some people find this very strenuous or energy-draining. Others' brains just do not function in that capacity. Another reason is that some people have such a close relationship with their tools that they enjoy using them. And then there is the traditionalist who feels that if he or she doesn't use the proper tool for the proper purpose every single time, the spell will not manifest. Again, whatever works for YOU is right.
The Most Common Tools
In my years of study, I have come across many themes for tool gathering. Some traditions use the 5 elements (Water, Earth, Air, Fire and Spirit). Some use the 6 senses (Touch, Sight, Hearing, Tasting, Smelling, and Psychic/Divination). And others even use the five Chinese elements (Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal). And guess what? There are even some who use combinations of all of these! For all intent and purposes, I am going to stick with the traditional Five Elements. The following is a list of some objects you may consider using. Keep in mind that this is by no means an inclusive list!
Tools to Represent Water
any liquid substance (water, wine, juice, etc.)
a flowing body of water (for outside rituals)
a small indoor waterfall
Tools to Represent Earth
a piece of wood
Tools to Represent Air
the wind (for outside rituals)
your own breath
Tools to Represent Fire
a bonfire (for outside rituals)
a fireplace or woodstove
Tools to Represent Spirit
a statue of the God and/or the Goddess
a picture of the God and/or the Goddess
tarot cards or other divination devices
Besides the listed above tools, there are also a few tools which are considered Power Tools. These are tools that INFUSE your power of intent. The most common ones are wands, athames, and staffs.
Creation tools are used to create your intent. The most common ones are paper, ink, cloth, needles, thread, ropes, and a mortar and pestle.
In the next posting, we will explore the various Types of Spellcasting.
There have been all kinds of wonderful experiments on objects: plants, light, pendulums, crystals, etc. to show how positive energy affects these things. A friend of mine is a Reiki Master and her daughter did an experiment for her science class on the effects of Reiki on plants. She planted 12 bean plants, carefully making sure that all conditions for all 12 plants were consistant. Six of these plants were given Reiki treatments daily and the other six were not. Other than that, all 12 were treated the same. The six who were given Reiki grew quickly, had large bright leaves, and appeared very healthy. The other six grew very slowly, had dull leaves and appeared sluggish/drained of energy. What an amazing experiment! She got an A+! I am constantly amazed at the power of positive energy!
Spellcasting 101 - Types of Spellcasting
Casting a spell can be as simple as saying a prayer (devotional) to a complex full-blown ritual (casting a circle, working with tools). However, keep in mind that all spells involve only two things: intent and ritual or thought and action.
The following list of Types of Spells will include some types that you've probably heard about before and some may be new to you. Keep in mind though that this is NOT an inclusive list. There are as many ways of casting spells as there are stars in the universe! Also, many Wiccans combine several types of spellcasting together when casting their spells. I am going to list and give a general introduction to each of these for now, but I will get into them in more details in future postings.
Types of Spellcasting
1) Candle Magic - this is the most common form of spellcasting. It basically involves using a specific colored candle to project your intent into the candle flame. Remember Fire is an ACTION element, so you would do Candle Magic for immediate action spellcasting.
2) Moon Magic - many Wiccans do moon magic more often than they think. The element that corresponds with Moon Magic is the element Spirit. This involves any and all spells that connect you to the Goddess as She is generally connected to the Moon. The most powerful Moon Magic is called "Drawing Down the Moon" and I will get into that in more details later. However, even doing cleansing or charging spells (cleansing, charging crystals, for instance) under the Full Moon are considered Moon Magic. Full Moon magic is generally acknowledged as Charging/Immediate Action spells. If you want to remove something negative from your life, this is an excellent time to do so. New Moon magic or Dark Moon Magic is generally acknowledged for new beginnings. I will get into all of this in more details later.
3) Sun Magic - believe it or not, this is rarely used by most Wiccans or Witches in general; however, Sun Magic is very powerful magic! Most Sun Magic is associated with the God. Any festival that is associated with the Sun God is Sun Magic. One can also use Sun Magic for healing spells as the Sun is the giver of all LIFE. Keep in mind, if the Sun God didn't impregnate the Moon Goddess, there would be no life! Sun Magic is also associated with the Element of Fire, so this is also an ACTION magic.
4) Herb Magic - this is using herbs for healing, grounding, cleansing, charging, etc. Herb Magic is associated with the Element of Earth. This is a balancing type of magic as everything in Nature is balanced. Herb Magic is generally used with other types of Magic like Candle Magic and Sun Magic.
5) Crystal/Stone Magic - this is using crystals and stones for healing, grounding, empowering, charging, etc. Crystal/Stone Magic is associated with the Element of Earth, so it too is a balancing type of magic and often used in conjunction with other types of magic.
6) Liquid Magic - this type of magic is used for spells involving water, wine, potions, etc. It is associated with the Element of Water. This is a flowing type of magic and should be used for Long Distance/Long-term magic. Some types of Liquid Magic are healing, cleansing, connecting with the Mother Goddess, anything dealing with the womb, female problems, etc.
7) Wind Magic - this type of magic uses the Wind to send your intent long distances or long-term. It is associated with the Element of Air, so it is a slow form of magic that is released into the Air and allowed to flow and stir about for a while. If the wind is barely blowing, use it for a spell you wish to manifest over time. If the wind is blowing fiercely, use it for a spell you wish to manifest more quickly.
8) Tarot Magic - this is using cards from a deck of Tarot to manifest your intent. Do not confuse this with Tarot Readings as they are two separate things. The basic concept behind Tarot Magic is that each of us are associated with one or two cards in the Tarot Deck. When we use these cards, they cause a personal infusion into our magic. Tarot Magic is often used with other types of magic and I will get into that in more detail later.
9) Invocations - this is a type of magic that invokes the God or Goddess into our pressence. This can be used for many purposes, but should always be used with respect and honor. Most festivals involving the God or Goddess or both uses Invocations. Calling on the Elements (some call these the Watchtowers) during Circle Casting is also an invocation. Anytime we call on some deity, element, or other entity, this is an Invocation.
10) Devotionals - this is prayer type magic and is often used for morning and night prayers to the God and Goddess and also for food blessings.
11) Poppet Magic - this type of magic has often been associated with Voodoo as many who practice this form of Craft use Poppets a lot. Anytime you construct a doll or sachet, you are using Poppet Magic. Dream Pillows would be considered a form of Poppet Magic. The purpose of this type of magic is to infuse intent into an object that one would keep with them at all times to manifest their spell at all times. This is a protection form of magic. This type of magic is used in conjunction with herb magic, crystal/stone magic and even liquid magic.
12) Mind Magic - this is visualization magic. Believe it or not, our thoughts can be manifested just by projecting those thoughts into the Universe. Have you ever thought about something, like a song, and turned on the radio and it is playing? Ever thought about finding a parking place when in route to the store and lo and behold, there is one waiting for you when you get there? We can also use our minds for protection visualization: circle of white light protection, a pyramid of power protection, etc. This type of Magic is almost always used for every form of magic we perform as it involves our thoughts/intent!
Spellcasting 101 - Types of Spellcasting, continued
13) Paper Magic - this is using writing on paper as a form of magic. Any time you write something down - a spell, devotional, invocation, poem, your BoS entries - you are performing Paper Magic. You are projecting your personal intent into the written word! This is often used with other forms of magic.
These are just some of the types of magic out there. I hope this gives you a good overall introduction to the Types of Spellcasting one can do. In future postings, I will be giving detail information about each of these types of Spellcasting. Your thoughts concerning these are very welcomed!
If The One for you is out there -and you are BOTH ready - you will attract each other by synchronicity - no other way.
Making this place the best it can be ~ Spitzfire
There comes that mysterious meeting in life when someone acknowledges who we are and what we can be, igniting the circuits of our highest potential.~Rusty Berkus
We Will Never Forget Those who Live In Our Hearts ~ Spitzfire aka Sasha
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow. ~ R.E. Osborn